Monday, September 8, 2008

Angel Kisses

My four year old Beans, has been more observant lately of what she looks like, and what makes her different from me and others. She will comment on my skin being "brown" and liking hers better because it is peach (I love her confidence!). Conscious of her hair, and often wants to put ponytails in by herself to get it just right, and I have to add that she does a pretty good job at it too.

So the other day, she noticed that she has "red marks" between her eyes, on one eyelid, along the side of her nose and a light one on her lip. She also has a large one at the nape of her neck that you can only see when she wears a high ponytail. Just glansing at her, they are not noticeable, and really are most noticeable in natural lighting. They pop out most when she has been crying, running around, or is super hot. To me, they make her complete and who she is. She was looking in my mirror in our bathroom as I was getting ready. She seemed alarmed at first by them, "Look Mom! I have red marks on my face. What are they?" Wanting to make her know and feel how special those little marks are, I said, "Angel Kisses." Bean asked me, "What are Angel Kisses?" Again wanting to make them special, "They are kisses from the angels before God put you in my belly. They loved you so much and were going to miss you, so they gave you those kisses to remember forever." She seemed very pleased with that answer. (These are the types of things I say that my husband looks up and around for lightning because he swears I will be struck down with my "lying".) She also asked if Cakes had any. Thankfully, Cakes has some also...back of her neck, eyelids, and lower back. That was pretty much the end of the conversation until today.

We were again getting ready in my bathroom, and she was examining herself in the mirror as she usually does. She then looked at me a little dissapointed, "Mom, the angels forgot to kiss this eye! And how did they get their lips on my other eye?" Hmmm. "The angels saved that eye for me to kiss!" So I kissed it and showed her how they got their kisses on her other eye.

Here is a picture from earlier this summer (that I posted before) but you can see some of her kisses, between her eyes, along the side of her nose and a very light one above her lip. She had been running and dancing in her new bathing suit, which makes them pop out. She is a precious little thing, that thinks way beyond an average four year old. I love you Beans.

2 comments:

Em said...

so sweet... and what a beauty

Tara Zornow, Southeast Michigan Photographer said...

That made me smile and tear up, all at the same time. She's such a sweet girl.