Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Cracked Egg

We colored eggs last night, and I wasn't expecting God to really use it as a lesson for me or for me to use with my kids. All was going well, and the eggs were being colored at rapid pace. I think that is what is to be expected when you have a 5 year old and an almost 3 year old. They would grab a crayon, color a little on the egg, and then PLOP! it would dive into a color of choice. Each time they were reminded to carefully place the eggs in because we don't want them to break.

Then as one was about to take is plunge into a sea of orange, it cracked its little side on the edge of the cup. Eyes darted to me, and both Tom and I made sure that they knew it was not a big deal. Phew! They were relieved and it continued to take a bath in the bright orange dye. Then the last egg (of the 24, we will be eating eggs for some time!!!) that needed dyed. Bean held it in her hand deciding which color to place it in. It was still pure white, she didn't want to use any crayons on it. She debated for a few minutes, and then she dropped the little egg. It took a dive from the table top to the floor, and it wasn't a little crack. One side was completely crushed. Bean was sad because she wasn't able to color the last egg, but we again made sure that she knew that it was not a big deal and that it could still be eaten. The girls continued with decorating the eggs with stickers, and had a fun time finishing the project. Although they had stained fingers, their tired eyes were calling for bed. Bed they went.

After everyone one was in bed, including Little Man, it was time to play Easter Bunny. I gathered the goodies from around the house and started putting together the baskets, errrr, buckets this year! They were all set, and I decided to write a note from the Easter Bunny to the girls. I thought maybe it would help Bean to continue to believe in the Easter Bunny for a bit longer, even though at dinner this evening she proudly stated, "Mom, I think the Easter Bunny is just a person dressed up in a bunny costume." Tom and I looked down at our plates, and then I had to say something...."Maybe. He must be magic though to be able to deliver baskets to our house." Bean quickly replied, "Yea, he is like magic. Does he come down the chimney too?" I breathed a little bit of a sigh of relief because the belief came back a little bit more.

Tangent...sorry.

Anyways, as I was thinking of what to do with the letter to the girls, I thought that I would get a basket and put the letter with all of the colored eggs. And then the cracked white one came to mind. The one that Bean felt badly for cracking, like she had ruined something. It is cracked, smashed and unable to be dyed, but when the cracked shell is peeled away, it is still a delicious egg just like the others. It reminded me then of my sins. I am a cracked little egg. I have sins that have cracked and smashed me, but by the grace of God, I am made whole and beautiful. Jesus has come and died for my ugly sins, and with me accepting His gift of salvation, my cracked shell is peeled away and I am made whole and pure again. So that is the note that the Easter Bunny left to the girls. Just a reminder to them that Jesus came to earth...to die on the cross...for our sins...so we can be pure and enter into the Kingdom of God. All of that from a little cracked white egg. God is pretty amazing.

Tom helped Cakies catch a few quick z's before we headed off to my mom's for Easter lunch...too precious!




Hope you have a wonderful Easter celebrating the resurrection of our Savior.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Precious, and priceless, both pics and the lesson! :)
Love,
Mom

Em said...

that last picture just melts me... and what a great story too!

MelanieP said...

That lesson was absolutely beautiful! It brought tears to my eyes...