Sunday, June 8, 2008

Things I take For Granted...

We lost power Friday night around 9:45 until Saturday night at about 6:45. I was pretty pathetic! I felt like a sweat ball sleeping Friday evening, and no one really got a great night sleep that night. It had been a 90 degree day, and the night was not cooling down, and was still humid from the storm that went through. We sleep with a box fan running every night, not very energy efficient I suppose, but we have done this since Beans was a baby. So, my kids are VERY used to that beautiful white noise that just hums them (and me) right to sleep! No FAN! No AC! Not comfortable! Saturday morning, Beans hopped in bed with my husband and I and said, "There is no power still!" "I know honey, it will be on sometime soon." Beans then says, after laying and chatting with her groggy mommy for a bit, "Can I watch some shows?" Tears came down her face!!!! She isn't that attached to TV, but it is a bit of a habit on Saturday mornings especially to watch shows in bed with us. It is also great, because it buys us about an extra half hour of shut eye! :) We then found out that power wasn't to be restored until Monday morning!!!!! My FOOOOOOD!!!! AC!!!!!!!!! No computer?!?!?!?!?!? What were we to do? Like I said pathetic. We did survive, and Grandpa Armstrong pulled through with a generator for us to borrow for a couple of hours to maintain the fridge (and a fan! to bring relief from another scorcher of a day!) I could write of the many "interruptions" that the short time of power outage caused to our life, but in all reality, it was pretty fun (once the fan was on!). So, I am going to end with things I am thankful for, that I take for granted too many days!!!

1. The health, safety and well being of my family and myself. The outcome from the storm could have been much worse!
2. My beautiful home that keeps us well protected.
3. AIR CONDITIONING!!!! Did I mention that I have been a spoiled baby when it comes to this department of life?!?!?! My dad is Mr. HVAC, so we have always had a nice cool house, and I have never lived without it!!!!
4. My computer! I was having withdrawals from my beloved computer...no email checking, NO PHOTO EDITING!!!!, no blog reading, no news catch up. I caught myself a couple times about to go to the basement to check emails, and it hit, NO POWER!
5. God. I am most thankful for Him. I would be a pathetic mess without Him as my Savior and Protector.

So, yes, count me as a pathetic soul who is way too dependent on electricity, who will probably never camp (my husband either), and one who is thankful and grateful for the many blessings in my life. I have so much, and even without my AC or Computer, my life would be complete...I just would have no photography business!!!! ;)

Hope you are all cool and comfortable tonight! Oh yes, to the "F" family, I will be busy working this week to get your proofs ready! Obviously, I didn't get them done this weekend!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I could understand where you are coming from, but our air worked all weekend! I guess God must love us more ;) Just kidding see you this week sometime. And maybe I will see a pool at your house :) -LJW

Jessica said...

I can relate to the white noise. All of us are used to it. I can't sleep in hotels because of the lack of white noise!!

T. Armstrong said...

Yea! Another white noise LOVER!!! I feel as though I am dooming my kiddos! And, Ljoyw, you were nuts to even come visit us with the air off!!!